Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-180 in the hands of a Newbie

Arran Wrote:You need some European walnut veneer to fix that control panel, don't know about the shoulders. Rubber wiring is the main issue in early 40s Philcos, is the Dial in good shape? If you need a schematic I found my 1940 Philco manual, I could dig it out tomorrow if you still need it. I also have a manual that should have the model 71 (or Canadian equivalent)if you want that scanned as well. How could I get them to you? Email?
Best Regards
Arran

Arran:
You're a life saver! I would very much like a copy of those manuals. I've downloaded what is available from Nostalgiaair.com, but will welcome anything you have that is in addition to that (or from anyone else reading this post).

The Dial is missing, so I've ordered a replacement along with the decals I'm going to need from RadioDaze. What I haven't been able to locate is the dial string and pointer (also missing). Any Ideas anyone?

I've ordered wiring from RadioDaze as well, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm building a work stand so that I can mount chassis on a rotatable support (like the old German clock makers). Cheap lumber and clamps from Rockler are being used. But I'm using this project as an opportunity to learn about veneers and stains. I expect it to be a little rough, but see this as a learning experience.

Take a look at the photos of the radios I've acquired on my Flickr page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimryan62/

You can email me at easyone@ca.rr.com

Thanks for all your help.
Jim Ryan

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philco 40-180 in the hands of a Newbie - by Jim Ryan 76 - 02-27-2009, 12:55 PM