Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

what lacquer to use Philco 48-1050 cabinet

I guess i may not have been clear in my original post.

when I purchased this cabinet ALL internal components had been already removed by someone else. I have no intention of modifying the exterior of this cabinet  beyond restoring the finish and making the knobs function ( they are just glued on atm).  The reason for the idea of using  modern electronic in it is because there is Nothing in it to restore Nothing to sell .. IT is EMPTY .. nothing i plan to do aside from re finishing it is permanent .. i am just putting a lcd display where the crt would be i am leaving the metal philco crt frame .. and i intend to have a media server that can play period movies and tv shows.. trying to make it look as correct as possible without trying to source all the internals that would be there .. thats for later .. much later 

what i would like to know

1 ) What color lacquer  would i use  or is it just clear ?

the stain appears to be ok ... only the lacquer on top is damaged

2 ) what product should I use to strip it ? that wont damage the stain .. so I can re-apply a period correct lacquer

here is a picture of the type of cabinet i have
we have put a black and white photo behind the frame and glass that would surround the crt tube

[Image: http://www.tvhistory.tv/1948-Philco-48-1050-10in.JPG]

edit : the reason I am asking what color is I am red/green color blind, I am unable to see what the correct color would be

Messages In This Thread
RE: what lacquer to use Philco 48-1050 cabinet - by drifter - 11-13-2015, 11:40 AM