Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need Help with 49-405 Electronics

My first concern is to avoid frustrating my mentors to the point that they give up on me.  Please bear with me.
My response is slow because just last night I figured out that emails from the Phorum were going into the spam box.

I do have a basic understanding of the vacuum tube, how it can function as an amplifier or a rectifier.  I also understand how a capacitor acts as a filter following rectification and why it can work as a bypass for AC but not DC.   And I understand how a coil lets DC pass easily but resists AC.  

I know that the resistance reading across a capacitor or between anode and cathode is expected to be infinite.

Link to schematic:
https://goo.gl/photos/z4KG89Ze1LSp6PaY9

So, looking at the schematic and my resistance readings chart; with radio unplugged; connecting one lead from my ohmmeter to the negative side of capacitor C101-C:

From 50A8 pin 7 (cathode) the chart says to expect 130 ohms.  I read 130 ohms.  I can trace the electrical path on the schematic from pin 7 to C101 (negative), and there is a 130 ohm resistor in that path.  That makes sense.

From 50A8 pin 2 (anode) the chart says to expect 90 Kohms.  I read 12 Megohms and the resistance slowly increases as long as I have the meter connected.  If I trace the electrical path from pin 7 on the schematic, each direction ends at C203; the positive side of C101 A, B, or C; or the 35Z5 cathode.  I would expect infinite resistance (setting aside that the meter is charging a capacitor).  But I can’t see how I could expect to read 90 Kohms.

I’ve restored about a dozen prewar radios and I’ve never run into this issue.  What am I missing?

(Regarding the Bz-z-zt:  The first thing I did was check filament continuity in the 3 most suspect tubes, but they were OK.  Next I’ll check all tubes in a tester and look for a break in the continuity all the way back to the wall socket.)

Messages In This Thread
Need Help with 49-405 Electronics - by Winky Dink - 11-08-2015, 03:03 PM
RE: Need Help with 49-405 Electronics - by Winky Dink - 11-13-2015, 03:10 PM
RE: 49-504 Trimmer Trouble - by Winky Dink - 11-19-2015, 03:18 AM