Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

custom zenith console project (FINISHED!)

I am not a big fan of "interpretive" jobs on radios, but that is a fine job and a nice looking set! 

Bravo Zulu!!!  Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_clap  Icon_biggrin

Fred, what you really should do is find an original ebony finish '30s Zenith and do the same thing.  AND then take it to the next VRPS meet. I think this would result in another award. 

I don't use the paste-type compounds when finishing my sets, as it is such a pain in the _______ (rhymes with "grass") to clean the remnants of the paste from the joints, etc... Instead I either dry/wet sand with finer and finer grades of paper to #2000 grit, OR I use pumice/paraffin  oil and then rottenstone/paraffin oil.  I use soapy water when I wet sand. Dick Oliver, bless him, taught me that during one of his many (many, many, many) lectures to me. 

Funny thing... Dick would start asking questions about what I was doing on a project. He would keep asking them until I gave the "wrong" answer, and then the lectures would start. IF I kept answering "rightly," he would change the subject to "are you still using stain and poly finish on your sets?" (I had not transitioned to lacquer back then.) 
THEN the lecture would start. 

BUT thanks to Dick and Henry Harmony, a Great American, I did eventually go to lacquer finishes and have never looked back.   

Messages In This Thread
RE: custom zenith console project - by sam - 11-17-2015, 09:57 PM
RE: custom zenith console project - by Arran - 11-17-2015, 10:33 PM
RE: custom zenith console project - by Arran - 11-18-2015, 12:53 AM
RE: custom zenith console project - by morzh - 11-17-2015, 11:05 PM
RE: custom zenith console project - by sam - 11-18-2015, 12:12 PM
RE: custom zenith console project - by JimZ - 11-29-2015, 08:06 AM
RE: custom zenith console project - by JimZ - 11-29-2015, 09:09 AM
RE: custom zenith console project (FINISHED!) - by TA Forbes - 12-05-2015, 04:27 PM