Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hay! You Wanna' See What's in the BOX?

(05-04-2016, 07:22 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Russ, that is really neat! Icon_thumbup Forgive me if you've already answered this question on your blog (I confess that I haven't looked there...yet), but...would you care to explain your replating technique? I'm sure many of us would be interested in knowing more...especially those of us with old, rusty Philco tube shields which need a fresh tin plating...

I have a 55 gallon de-rusting tank that uses a 50A @ 12V supply, though I don't often have to use it. A lot of flaking plating or stains/rust can be removed with careful application of sulfuric acid which is a lot faster than navel jelly.

I have 5 gallon plating tanks for copper, nickel and bronze. The replating is usually nickel, not zinc or cadmium. It looks like fresh zinc and will stay that way. Acid copper can be applied over the nickel but not over unplated steel. Most of the plating supplies are from Caswell and are not cheap. I built the plating power supply which saved a lot of $$.

If you don't have a shop or a large SAFE area to work these processes are too toxic or otherwise dangerous to perform. De-rusting is always done outside. Combustible gasses may be released in these processes. Most of the plating solutions are toxic and cannot be released into the environment. I won't even consider chrome, though there are substitutes, nickel, if done properly is close enough.

Which brings up the point of tools needed for prep and polishing and more space and $$.

So this is something most people would not want to do. It is probably just too hazardous for people with young children assuming the work area can not be completely isolated. It is also too hazardous to do in a room of your home. It is too costly to setup for a single project. If you are not very careful with the process the solutions can be ruined. Like in painting, the prep is critical.

Pictures of the stripping process:

This is NOT the plating supply

Yes, the crud floating on top came off of the chassis.

P.S. the plating of the catacomb was a real quick job. I did not put much time or effort into the plating. I just did not want it to rust again.

Also, I get these 55 gal drums for about $15 and sandblast the inside. The process eats a hole in the bottom pretty quickly. Another reason to be outside. (The agent in the stripping barrel is washing soda. I would not drink it but it is not hazardous)

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hay! You Wanna' See What's in the BOX? - by Phlogiston - 05-05-2016, 09:46 AM