Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-PT94/95 Grill replacement options

I am attempting to restore/refurbush several Philco radios for what I hope to be Christmas gifts. I am having the electronics professionally restored by others [while I still learn the proper techniques of recapping etc myself], but I am going to attempt the restoration of the cosmetic end of the radios.

I have several 42-PT95's which are being restored and most suffer from the same problem, that is warping of the plastic grills. See the attached pictures which represent two different radios.

A) Does anyone manufacture reproduction grills for these radios, as this seems to be a common problem.

B) Assuming I can straighten the grills, is there a technique for cleaning the plastic to bring back some of the shine ?

I also own a 42-PT94 which I purchased 4 or 5 years ago, which again I had electronically restored by a professional radio service. This is my own personal radio which I use every day at work. This radio must have suffered from the same fate as the PT95's that I currently have. Some unknown person it looks like created a wood frame to replace the plastic grill. I have seen this technique done on other PT94's and 95's.

C) Does any one know of a source for this type of grill "replacement".

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this topic.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread