Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoring Philco 37-604C

Ordered 154E inductance by Hammond; cheap enough, and when order 2, the shipping no longer becomes 2/3 or the price of the item.
Amazon sells it for someone else. Unfortunately, the shipping is not free on this one, even for Prime members.
Anywho.

Need to restuff the capacitors can.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Have rebuilt the can.

The can had 4 caps in it, 2x16uF, 10uF and 8uF.
I used a 15uF as the first cap, 22uF and 10uF as the two secondary after chokes, and another 10uF as the cathode feedback for the output tube.

The can is this

Took two heatgun to loosen the contents.

This is it rebuilt.

I installed it back, need to slder the rest of the wires, but it will have to wait as I need to clean that mess in there before I put everything back.

I also installed the choke. It is half-size of the original. I ordered 700 Ohm resistor to add up to bring it to 2200 ohm.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hi Mike, the radio is coming along nicely but wow, you must have some serious moisture in your shop judging by the amount of rust on your chassis jig!

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Ron

Here are the two of my jigs side by side. They have been with me about the same time (a couple of month difference possibly) and have been kept on the same shelf of the same stand all this time.

As you can see, they look fairly different. The bigger jig (I have just pulled it to put in the picture) look way bettrer, and has one dark spot which is, BTW, black, not brown, which indicates some different type of reaction. I guess, different type of steel.

This said, the rust is very superficial, no pitting.
The moisture in the workshop has never been really high, and now is even lower since they put the french drain, and after having faild to stop weeping, they also put a vapour barrier around.

Also I moved stereo out of the adjacent room with dehumidifier, which I kept close to keep the dehumidifier serving only that room, and now I have it open and it serves both that room and the workshop.
Also in the winter it is dried up by heating during the nighttime (the firnace is there, and so is a register in both roome), and in the summer by A/C, also during the night time (the cats live there, so they are locked during the night and so I run the furnace/AC).

But this said, in the workshop there have been no musty smell, I do not see anything else rusting/decomposing; this one was the only piece that showed the rust.
The only smell that is present in my basement is the smell of cardboard boxes, and I recently got rid of half of them (remember, I wrote about dealing with mice activity this August?), so it became much less pronounced.

Anywho, there is not anything superbad there. Green nefarious goo no longer drips on me off the ceiling, when I work there Icon_lol