Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

60B Version 2 Grille Cloth

Oh, no!  Not grille cloth again!  I’ve searched the forums but haven’t found a specific reference to version 2.

I finished the cabinet restoration a few days ago, but had second thoughts about the grille cloth.  When I acquired the set it had faded, worn & torn cloth which I assumed was original.  So I replaced it with closely-matching  Radio Daze GRC-03.  Since then I’ve noticed that none of the photos I’ve seen of a 60B Version 2 have this pattern--not even in a 1934 Philco ad picture.

[Image: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4640/3820...b9687d.jpg]
[Image: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4589/2505...39f6ba.jpg]

The set has had some previous work done, but it’s pretty old.  One filter cap is replaced with a cardboard electrolytic from the Illinois Condenser Co, so how old might that be?

Do I have the wrong grille cloth?  If so, is an appropriate replacement available?

Thanks from a woefully disappointed…
Henry

Definitely the wrong cloth. Philco had not started using the chevron cloth yet when the 60B Version 2 was being produced.

This version of the 60 also used what is commonly known among collectors as the "70/90 cloth pattern".

An exact duplicate is no longer available, but you can get pretty close with Kenny Richmond's Whiskey Rayon, or Radio Daze's GRC02.

P.S. I hate to tell you this, but in that "after" photo, the cabinet was not toned properly.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks, Ron. I KNEW you would notice the tone. I couldn't tell the difference on the set before restoration--it all looked equally dark. I picked up the error after it was finished. But I had a good time doing it, anyway.