Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 87 question

Philco 87 chassis has been rebuilt...new caps resistors tubes...I algined it according to the procedure on Philco Radio.com and neturalize the set as well....Radio plays with plenty of voulmm from about 700 up to 1600 but low volumm on stations 700 and below.....any ideas???Thanks... Icon_idea

Something I'd look for would be a short between plates in one (or more) of the tuning gangs as the tuning cap is meshed closed.

Something else to try is tune to a station down at the low end. Then try touching the stators one by one on the tuning cap. If volume increases you've got a tracking issue with the rf amps.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks for the input...Looks like I have an open RG coil to the 1st RF tube...
took it aprt and it is broken in 4 diffent places....Does anyone have a spare RF coil for a Philco 87?? Philco part number is
3075-A

UPDATE...
Got brave and soldered the wire back together and rewound the coil...Put it
back together and realign and Neuturalized it and now the lower station come in loud and clear...
Thanks for everone's help on this...

That is good news. Congratulations! Icon_biggrin

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN