Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-620 vs. 38-620 Speakers

Hi all - Recently joined as I am restoring a Philco 37-620 Console and looking to find a working speaker.  I have my eyes on a 38-620 Speaker, unsure if they are interchangeable.  My 37-620, has 3 wires to the radio.  I already mistakenly bought one with 4 wires and it does not fit.  Any guidance on 37-620 and 38-620 speaker interchangeability is appreciated.  Thanks - Steve

Welcome to the Phorum, Steve! I moved your thread to the Philco Electronic Restoration section. You'll probably get more responses to your question there. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

thanks!! Still figuring the site out.

Hello Steve and welcome to the Phorum. Your 37-620J uses a 10-1/2 inch HS speaker. The 38-620 uses an 8 inch S7 speaker. You can find a replacement that has an output transformer that matches your singleended 6K6 output tube. Other Philcos that use this speaker are 37-610J, 37-2620J, 38-8X, 38-9K, 38-9X, 38-10F. If you find a non-Philco speaker/OPT that's suitable, you may have to rewire it to make it function.

Thanks for the warm welcome, the response and the speaker insight!  I am in process of repairing the cone, however, it is becoming brittle and cracking with every touch.  I watched a you-tube on re-coning.  I am considering doing this myself, however, not sure if i want to try unless I am out of options.  Not having the proper electronic equipment my validation of operation will be with output sound will be step one, followed by very high level troubleshooting with a multimeter. Good news is all tubes glow and unit powers up.  I know glowing of tubes is just the heater, not a 100% accurate method of operation. Stay tuned and thanks again.

Welcome to the Phorum! Icon_wave

Thanks!