Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 20 Dial Lamp Question

Hi, All:  

I have restored one of these before, and for the life of me I don't remember this.  See the attached photo.  This is the bracket that the dial lamp is on.  I believe, from a couple of screw holes dangerously near the speaker opening, that the bracket was screwed to the inside of the radio face, again, like less than 1/4" below the speaker opening.  I'm guessing I just jerked the screws out when I pulled the chassis.  Is this how this dial lamp was mounted originally?  There is for sure no way I can see to mount that bracket to the chassis and get the dial lamp anywhere near the dial.  But I sure don't see how you would put those screws in after the chassis was in place.

Best

Mike

Attached Files Image(s)

https://mcclellans.com/Philco20BRestoration.htm

Here you will see the position. When you put it there, you will see what the holes align with.

Also here is my photo.
I think it is mount on the tuning cap.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Ah, yes. Mine has a couple of holes on the front of the tuning cap frame, which seem to place the lamp correctly. The only problem is that they don't quite line up. The wiring on the lamp socket is not original. From your picture, the lamp is not original either. This may have come from an earlier or later set.
Thanks for the help! Now that I have this info, I'll get it on there.

Lamp might not be original, if you mean the light bulb.
The fixture, however, is original.

Also what I do not remember (this things I treat as "here it is, deal with it and forget it to rediscover later if needed"), if the fixture has a bump that fits one of the holes on the tuning cap, while the hole is for the screw.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Would have made sense. No dimple. Also, no problem. I know what to do now. I'll start cleaning up the chassis and get to work on the recap. New dial is on order. I'll wait until that is installed before mounting the lamp bracket.