Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Road Trip for a Philco 46-480

Well, folks, I’ve made an offer on a 46-480 and the gentleman selling it has accepted! I’m going to Kansas tomorrow to get it. It’s been in a storage building for some time now, and it will need some serious restoration to the cabinet. But I am willing to see how far I can go to breathe some fresh life into it! It’s going to be about a four-and-a-half hour drive each way, so this is going to be a day trip. The guy selling it has several others, and I’m pretty excited to see them. But my heart is set on the 46-480.

Attached Files Image(s)

Joseph

Philco 46-480
Philco 49-906

Nice, !946 FM, should be fun. Maybe darken the trim a little so it's not so mono. Have fun with this one.

Nice grab! The cabinet is a close copy of my 40-180 and my 41-280 consoles. Guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree! Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Thank you! Made it there and back safely. It was roughly a 500 mile trip in all. 

I am very excited now that I’ve brought it back home. The chassis looks to be very clean given that it’s been in storage for so long (still planning to recap before I attempt to run it). The glass dial is shattered, so I will need to think about how to replace it. Surely someone can reproduce the numbering on a new piece of glass. Fortunately it’s not broken so badly that I can’t lay all of the pieces together to scan it.

Great tip, Rod! You may be onto something. I’d like to keep the body close to original color, but some darker stain on the trim would be a nice contrast.

Joseph

Philco 46-480
Philco 49-906