Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoring Philco 38-12 in a white wood cabinet

Today, after having finished alignment of the previous 38-12 in a veneered wood cabinet, I proceeded to the next 38-12 in a painted white wood cabinet.

These are the initial photos of the cabinet.

The chassis is a bit dustier than the previous one.

Under the chassis there are some mediocre quality repairs.

I checked the AC input, and it looked like it was open. The switch on the pot (which is a replacement pot) was not making any contact at all.
When opened, it was fully oxidized.

After using alcohol and then some Deoxit D5, the contact was restored.

I thought of trying to put it on Variac, but then thought I needed to check the tubes. The 75 tube was barely alive. Judging by both the triode and the diodes were super-weak, it is emission. I have a good tube. The rest of the tube are OK.

I will start with the recap tomorrow.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
Philco 39-116 radio and remote
Hi Ron, I'll have to open the junction box to check on how it's wired. The other pair may be connected but is no longer...RichG — 12:19 PM
Eico 536 dead
First, there is no schematic in it. Second, do you, possibly, have a fuse in that thing?morzh — 12:15 PM
Help understanding a 89 radio rebuild new guy
I don't know if this would help but there is a page about the model 89s, and the changes they made over the years they w...Arran — 11:30 AM
Fingers crossed you'll get lucky and won't have to, but chances are you're going to have to rewind at least one, possibl...NostalgiaRadioTime — 11:06 AM
Eico 536 dead
The continuity works but ac dc does not. Its an east schematic but i cant figure it out.daveone23 — 09:08 AM
Gee! That is a great help, I can now see what I am looking for and it's crisp and clear and matches exactly the radio I ...Bruce B — 08:57 AM
462ron
Hi Bruce, here is original Philco factory service info on your set from the Philco Radio Library at the bottom of this p...462ron — 07:49 AM
462ron
Hi Rich, it should be easy to determine which pair are used for your phone using a meter. In my case, the red and green ...462ron — 07:36 AM
We have factory documentation for most models, indexed here: That spreadsheet has many columns, so be sure to scro...DaleHCook — 07:13 AM
Do you have any strong interference source nearby? Have you performed full alignment? If you have not finished recap, ...morzh — 10:05 PM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 2117 online users. [Complete List]
» 2 Member(s) | 2115 Guest(s)

>