Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 71B

I picked this radio up a while back and have been considering my options.  Someone told me that back in the 50's or 60's some contemporary artist took a bunch of old radios and painted a patriotic design on them, and they were sold for charity.  I have never been able to find out if this story is true or who the artist was, nor what radios were used.  Didn't want to strip this until I did.  Nothing but dead ends.  Has anyone on the Phorum heard of this???

Attached Files Image(s)

Philco's 
86 Low Boy           71B      42-321T
90 High Boy          52B      46-1203
95 High Boy          118B     48-214     
112X Console        60B       48-206
118X Console        84B       49-506
41-608P Console    610B
41-265 Console      37-89B
52GC                    38-35B
20 Baby Grand       38-10T
70 Baby Grand       41-221CI

As for the qualifications of the artist...any 5-year-old could've done it.
This said, any 5-year-old could've painted the Black Square. Somehow this "work of art" became famous and a multi-million-dollar item, so you never know, what shabby schick piece of you know what will bring you safe retirement in a private villa in Nice, so, yeah, do find out.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

A while back, someone else posted another radio with a "Stars and Stripes" motif. However, this is the first I have heard of an artist doing these for charity. Several companies made radios celebrating victory in WWII but not these; they are not from the mid - late 40s, these are from the 30s. Meanwhile, start the electronic restoration. What model is it?

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Model 71B

Philco's 
86 Low Boy           71B      42-321T
90 High Boy          52B      46-1203
95 High Boy          118B     48-214     
112X Console        60B       48-206
118X Console        84B       49-506
41-608P Console    610B
41-265 Console      37-89B
52GC                    38-35B
20 Baby Grand       38-10T
70 Baby Grand       41-221CI

There are no pictures of the chassis or the speaker, but the cabinet in a pretty deplorable condition.
It is a good question if the radio merits restoration, or maybe just look for a new cabinet (if the electronics is in good shape).

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

A patriotic mess? I wonder if that was done during the Bicentenary? In my opinion it looks worse then it probably is, such as the arch will likely need to be replaced, but the front doesn't look too bad. A model 71 is pretty much a model 70 but with 6.3 volt tubes, unfortunately I think it also used an autodyne oscillator, which may or may not work correctly once restored.
Regards
Arran

Give us a pic or two of the back and such to make a better assessment of it. 
So far I'm kinda liking it as it but the surround got to go and be replaced. It's hard to know when it was painted, it was abt 10yrs old during WWII and 44yrs by 1976 the bicentennial yr. I'd those where probably the two most patriotic times in the US in the 20th century.

Look's like a fun project as long as it's not a total wreck inside.
And it would go well w/your Willys!

https://philcoradio.com/library/download...%20128.pdf

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

OOPs, Dumb me. The title of the post is Model 71B. DUH!!

Yes, the 71 uses an autodyne detector, but it is more like the Model 80 than the Model 89. I did 2 Model 80s and did not have issues after rewinding the oscillator coil. The 80 was a different story, I had to rewind and bake the coil, and update to the 77 Pentode in order to make the thing work.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Absolutely looking at replacing the arch veneer and sides. Good luck stripping the front face ... hope the paint hasn't gotten too deep into the wood grain. To some it might be a diamond in the rough. Personally, right now it looks more like lipstick on a pig! If the 71B is a 'gotta-have' radio in your collection, go for it. Any cabinet can be refurbished, but will be daunting. If nothing else you could find another cabinet, or at least have a parts-chassis for another in better shape. Just my two cents worth. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan