Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-221 Restored

Today my grandson and I finished the restoration of this Philco 41-221. It has had all the rubber coated wiring replaced, alignment, new plastic dial cover and new power cord. I decided to keep the original finish because it was in great condition despite a couple scars on the top from a forgotten cigarette. Gives it character. After cleaning and a couple coats of lacquer it has new glory. It is really sensitive, brings in continuous daytime stations across the dial.

Nice Radio

Philco's 
86 Low Boy     71B      42-321T
90 High Boy    52B      46-1203
95 High Boy    118B     48-214     
112X Console     60B       48-206
118X Console     84B       49-506
41-608P Console   610B   76 High Boy
41-265 Console   37-89B   370LZ
52GC                38-35B
20 Baby Grand   38-10T
70 Baby Grand   41-221CI

Hello Rod,
Wow that radio looks great nice job !

Sincerely Richard

Hi Rod,

I always tell people that my scars give me character.  Icon_wink   Great job on the radio.  Is the grille original or a replacement?  I repaired a chassis for a 42PT94 for a friend.  His tenite grille was a total mess.  I had a 48-206.  He took my grille (different plastic that did not distort the way that tenite did) and made a mold which he used to mold a new grille for his, including the "marbling" of the original, and returned mine undamaged.  It was his dad's radio and having it back to original condition meant a lot to him.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Mr fixr,
That is great news I would love to see repo grille !!
I too have a very similar Philco but my cabinet has fabric covering but the grille is exactly like that one.
Well Rod so far as the coupling capacitors did use those little yellow capacitors ?

May I ask how old your grandson is as someone who works in the classroom for a living I work with 11-14 old kids all day .
Sincerely Richard

Thanks for the compliment Richard. The tenite grille is original. A few of the horizontal slats were slightly warped so I slid corrugated cardboard between them then used the heat gun gently getting them straight again. My grandson is 23 and repairs and restores audio and radio equipment in the lower level of my townhouse. He comes in 3 afternoons a week. On this one he did the electronics and I did the cabinet. I think the capacitors were replaced with the poly red ones from Mouser.

Rod

Great job, looks good, no need to refinish to my taste.
It is rare that you see the tenite grill in these in decent shape. Most what I've seen is a total mess.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.