Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

42-345, question for an owner

Hello,

I am working on a Philco 42-345.  It appears that there have been many hands inside this radio before me.  The tone control had been replaced at some time in the past, and I think it is wired incorrectly.  When the tone control is turned clockwise the bass increases.  This seems backwards from other radios I have had.  If the new tone pot was not wired correctly this would be the result.  The tone control is electrically wired correctly but depending on which end of the pot was used, the control function could be backwards.  I have not found a diagram or picture showing the mechanical connection to the tone pot.  If anyone on here has a functioning 42-345, could you check to see how your tone control works?  Does a clockwise turn of the control increase or decrease the bass?

Thank you for your time,

Noel.

Welcome to the Phorum, Noel! I don't have that radio, but I'm sure others will jump in with help. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

It cannot be wired correctly and work incorrectly.

It is as simple as this: if you want to have you treble up and base down when turning clockwise, the upper (when looking at the pot from the shaft side, it will be the one on the right) pin of the pot should be the lower one on the sch, and the one connecting to the cap should be the left pin. That is, when you rotate clockwise, you want to GET AWAY from the GND, not get closer to it.

Best

Mike

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Wow Mike, that's profound! That should be the Phorum motto.

Rod

Icon_lol

1. The schematic always work according to the wiring.
2. If the schematic does not work according to the wiring, see above.
3. The electronics is the science about bad contacts.
4. Most problems are either a contact where there should not be one, or the absence of a contact where there should be one.

Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

+1 for number 4 with an added theorem: The more connections in a circuit the higher the possibility of failure.