Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 10 car radio head key

I recently acquired a 1932-33 Philco 10 Transitone car radio. The head has a key slot and the key is missing. I found a site that will make a key but needs the code. I cannot see anywhere a reference to the key code. Can anyone shed some light on the key codes?  This is my first “vintage” radio that I would like to restore to working order. It appears to be all there.  Anything else I should be looking at or for?  [attachment=31055][attachment=31056][attachment=31056][attachment=31056] Thanks for helping this “newbie”.

Hi Keandkafu,

In general, the Key Code usually has nothing to do with the brand of key, but is a code for how the notches in the key are cut. Car manufacturers used to give a tab with the key code for your car. However, considering t\the fact that this radio is 90+ years old, I don't think you will be able to get a key made by the code, even if you found it.

Can you disassemble the head or is the state of the lock preventing that?

I have a sneaking suspicion that if you bring the unit to a locksmith, he or she will be able to pick the lock rather quickly. I believe that the sole purpose of the lock was not to prevent theft but to prevent unauthorized operation of the radio (The driver could control who used the radio if he / she allowed someone ese to drive or park the car.). These radios had a rather high draw on the battery, and neither battery capacity or generator current were very high. In addition, the first versions of car radios ran off of B Batteries for plate voltage and the car battery for filament voltages instead of a vibrator supply or dynamotor that ran off the car battery.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55