Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

IF Slug Adjustment

Hi, does this look like someone way over adjusted the slug on this 1st IF? I really dont know much about the slug adjustments being the rookie I am, but I have a little bit of experience with trimmer adjustments. This thing looks like its out about 1/2 inch past the can. This is the IF with the big mystery cap nobody on the other forum I visit was ever able to identify because of Philcos proprietary marking systems. I was thinking maybe that cap is bad and caused the person doing an alignment to way over compensate?

Philco 41-255
[Image: http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1323/68ot.jpg]

No, that is supposed to be like that. Chances are if you look underneath, there is another one on the bottom of the can also.

Eric
The Villages, FL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Nope, only one slug on that can, and it's on top. The other adjustment is a trimmer capacitor to the side of the slug.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well, I was half right! Icon_thumbupIcon_clap

Eric
The Villages, FL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Thanks for the replies. Yes one slug and one trimmer on top.
I was just used to seeing it like this on my near identical 41-250 chassis so it looked like kind of radical adjustment to me.
Thanks!
[Image: http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2843/fzv4.jpg]

Can't think of why anyone would make a screw that needlessly long, but then again, accountants were not running things way back when. A proper alignment will reveal all.

When it comes to those type of slugs they typically run more like your project radio than that last picture. Depends how its made, though. A peak may (probably) exist on either side of the coil as the slug passes through it so both could be correct.

Thanks for all the comments. Looks like I will be Ok then with this IF in place. The radio is currently going through reconditioning. I have replaced all the .003uf and larger caps and bad tubes and it still tunes stations. Now to try to fix the loose/worn band switch.

Much appreciated!