Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chevron Grill Cloth

Hi,

Back in the summer I bought a 37-630 on eBay. The poor radio is in really sad shape, but I hope to do a nice job on it. One of the many things she will need will be new grill cloth. Does anyone know of a source for the chevron cloth used on this set?

Thanks,
Jon

See this link http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=7361

You can buy it here:

http://www.radiodaze.com/product/12906.aspx

I bought some and it looks great.

- Geoff

Geoff,

Sorry about the dead thread revival, but I wanted to ask if the stuff from Radio Daze is as light as it looks in the pictures. The stuff from Richmond Designs is much darker, appropriate for the 1935-1937 sets. The Radio Daze cloth looks like the same pattern, just much lighter in color which might make it a "close enough" alternative for 1938 sets.

Now is the time to buy chevron cloth - Richmond Designs is having a "buy one, get the second for 50% off" sale just in time for Christmas!

http://www.richmonddesignsinc.com/

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I just took advantage of that this morning. I can't tell you how happy I was to find it! I have a 37-116 with an large hole in the grille cloth. Only a few months ago I had given up hope, and now I have two pieces coming!

jontz Wrote:Geoff,

Sorry about the dead thread revival, but I wanted to ask if the stuff from Radio Daze is as light as it looks in the pictures. The stuff from Richmond Designs is much darker, appropriate for the 1935-1937 sets. The Radio Daze cloth looks like the same pattern, just much lighter in color which might make it a "close enough" alternative for 1938 sets.

Yes, the chevron pattern from Radio Daze is as light as it looks in their photo. I just went to the Richmond Design page and found this:

Highlight of the Week

************** Grille cloth sizes for the holidays**************

All patterns in a 10" x 12" for
only $8.00 Free shipping !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171183885043?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I thought for $8- I'd order a chevron pattern and see how it compared to Radio Daze. But when I clicked the link it took me to a diamond pattern for $8-. I checked his other items and his website but did not see any auction that gave you a choice of any pattern at 10" x 12" for $8-. Oh well.

- Geoff

Did you try contacting him?

http://www.richmonddesignsinc.com/contact_us

Contact him...he will take care of you. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Geoff,

If you do get a hold of him and order piece of his Chevron cloth, and if you have the time, please post a side by side pic of the two. I'm curious how they compare as well.

I just sent him an e-mail. I'll let you know what he says.

- Geoff

Here is the reply I got back from Ken:

NO, Geoff , that only comes in 18 inch width due to the repetitive pattern.
18 x 26 is the best I can do on that one,.
I hope you understand why I cannot cut it that way, sorry
Merry Christmas,
Kenneth

Oh well. We'll see if Santa brings me some for Christmas!

- Geoff

No problem. Thanks for checking! Methinks I'll just go ahead and order a piece from Radio Daze. I'll post a comparison once I get both pieces.

Geoff,
I emailed you back:
I will be offering the Swirl after the first of the year, not sure on a date yet,..
Thank you so much for the compliment,
Geoff, .....Send me your Paypal address, and I will send you an invoice for a center cut 10 x 18 for $10.00
I will be watching for it,..
Merry Christmas
Kenneth

Guys,..I have not honestly seen the RD grille cloth personally, but I have been told mine is thicker.
After all the work I did to get this cloth for us, I can guarantee you, it is the best quality in the country, and I stand by that.

I have the Radiodaze cloth.. it's not lightweight. in fact, it's heavier than the original. it's well made.

PS - Ken, I bought this before I noticed you were carrying it.

Ken,

The only reason I ordered the cloth from Radio Daze is that it appears lighter in color and I wanted to do a side by side comparison with yours. Also, I have a couple of 1938 sets that need grill cloth and while the Radio Daze cloth isn't the correct pattern, I thought the lighter color might work better than the darker 1935-37 pattern you carry.

Don't take my comparison as a question of the quality of your product. I've already ordered 2 pieces of yours and will more than likely order more. Thank you so much for taking the time to have such an accurate reproduction made!