Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Phillco 7053 CRT Tester

I picked this up a few months ago.  A thorough cleaning and a little polishing showed it to be a very well-preserved circa 1950 electronic thing  (I actually do know what it's for).  I have only two CRTs--a 1950 electromagnetic and a 1948 electrostatic, and this has only two adapters, but they fit both of the tubes, so I may be able to put it to some practical use.  But for me it's basically a new toy. 

[Image: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JGiQd...207053.JPG]

I have no documentation for the unit, so I cracked it open to see what I could figure out.  There were only three "usual suspects"--two resistors and a paper cap--so I replaced them with on-hand components.  I cleaned the single rotary switch and the pots with CRC electronic cleaner.  Both pots work correctly.  The transformer is marked 6.3V and 220/0/220V with 117V line.  I put it on a variac at 117V, and I got 6.7 and 240/0/240.
I haven't checked the NE45 bulb, but it looks OK.   

[Image: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-E-s48...207053.JPG]

So, I'm first asking if anyone knows where I can find instructions for the 7053.  I've looked around, but haven't seen anything available except a couple of units with instructions for sale at some previous time.

If no instructions are available, can someone give me a clue how use this thing (remembering that I know little about radio electronics and less about television)?  May immediate goal would be to get to the point where I can connect it to a CRT and make the light bulb glow.

Thanks much.

PS:  I haven't been on the Phorum for a while.  I have seen the new look.  And it is good.

Chuck may have a manual for it.
Terry

Repair Bench was the first place I looked, and Chuck sez:
"Please note, I do not have service info for TVs, CD players, Stereos or any other consumer electronics that may be branded 'Philco.'
I only have info for antique Philco radios from 1928 to through 1947."
But thanks, anyway.

Replace the bumblebee cap too! Sorry I do not have instructions either.