Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Atwater Kent 206

So, it's finally done. Kept the cabinet original, so the chassis this time is not that "brand new' shiny to match the exterior appearance. All wiring has been completely replaced, with correct color, good and bad for a good measure (mostly bad). Re-stuffed paper caps. Self made dial lens.E-cap has a seam,drives me nuts, but it will eventually go away (the nuts, the seam will remain). Really great reception on SW.
[Image: http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/...ba0ff5.jpg]

[Image: http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/...875acb.jpg]

[Image: http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/...5bd48a.jpg]
[Image: http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/...df5fda.jpg]
[Image: http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac17/...6fdca8.jpg]

Looks really nice and very original. 

If you want to avoid the seam on the electrolytic, next time cut the can right under where the top cap is crimped on. You can then restuff the cap and then epoxy the cap back on. If you are careful, you cannot tell that the cap was restuffed, even if you examine it closely.

Very nice job!!! It's one of my favorite sets and I'm sure you will get a lot of comments from folks that see it (It's a very iconic set) plus a lot of enjoyment just listening to it.

I had one when I was a kid back in the mid '60's.

When I got it (from a schoolmate I think) the 2A6 was missing or bad. And I couldn't find one anywhere! So I looked up the specs in my Dad's 1947 RCA receiving tube manual and found that the 6SQ7 would make a dandy replacement but I didn't have a 6v filament transformer to power the heater. Hmmmm well I found an old door bell transformer, I don't remember the exact voltage but it was close to 12v like 18 or so. Back then I had a few AC-DC sets too but I really wanted to hear this AK sing plus it has a very kewl dial lighting arrangement. In one of those sets I removed the 12SQ7 which would be the replacement for the 2A6. Made up a socket adapter as the 2A6 is a standard 6 pin socket and the 12SQ7 was an octal. Now where to put the transformer??? Screwed it right to the arch in the rear (hey I was a kid that didn't know any better!!!) Got it all hooked up but before I gave the radio a try I had one of those little RCA 45rpm turntables w/out an audio amp. So I wired it to the 12SQ7 and it played great though the old AK. After fooling around with the 45 player I gave the radio a try. I played but not very well. I had my dad take a look at it and determined that the b+ was low because the filters where weak. Replaced a couple of 8uf caps in it and now it worked great!!! Before he had a look at it I remember him saying "if this blank it te blank radio shocks me I'm going to smash in to little pieces" This was 1966 or so and he had been servicing xsistor stuff for the last few years. He had kinda gotten out of the vacuum tube gear I never did.

Eventually I did find a 2A6 and removed the bell transformer. The set was my bed side companion for many years. I do not remember what happen to it, I know I don't still have it. I fondly remember listening to hams down on 75meters on AM I did rig up a bfo of sorts so I could copy code and ssb. It was easy I just took a piece of wire and slipped it under the grid cap of the #58 tube the IF amplifier and the wrap a number of turns around the tube. This provide some feedback from the grid to the plate which caused the IF to oscillate. It worked well enough. And then there was a lot of shortwave broadcast stations on the air back then too. The BBC and CBC VOA where all great to listen to.

Fast forward to 2012 or so I found a nice 206 on epay. I don't remember how much I paid but it was the kind of number I wanted to forget. I'd bet a nice one that has been restored with the rubber wiring replaced and still has the original finish would bring 8 to $900 on that auction site.
The Atwater Kent 206 was one of the first old radios and cathedral I collected and enjoyed. The one I picked up on epay is in nice shape but between work and this blank it te blank Lyme disease I haven't done anything with it but one of these days......
Hope I didn't bore you with this long post.
Terry

@Radioroslyn,

Terry,
What a great story.No better place for it but here, where most of us have that thing called "Nostalgia" and I think for a very good reason. Hope you will finish your 206, but with that story of yours it must be looking much better than mine.

You did a good job fields 100. That is a nice style radio. I think I like the unshiny look of your chassis, it is still very clean looking.
Was the dial lens hard to make?
Also enjoyed your story radioroslyn.

(11-14-2014, 09:11 AM)Mike Wrote:  You did a good job fields 100.  That is a nice style radio. I think I like the unshiny look of your chassis, it is still very clean looking.
Was the dial lens hard to make?
Also enjoyed your story radioroslyn.
Thanks.With the lens it came out OK from the second attempt. The first piece of plastic was rigid no matter how much heat was applied. The second was pretty flexible with a heat gun. I made primitive form  and it came out half way decent. Had to thin the sides with a file to make snug fit and polish the whole thing on the wheel prior to assembly.

Looks fantastic! The restoration looks very original. Your dial lens looks great. I ordered one for mine as I had no idea on how to make one. Very nice Icon_thumbup

Did you have to make the dial pointer?

No, I didn't.

The pointer is from a different set. The AK pointer on the 206 is wire thin, but is held on with a screw like your pointer is.

(11-15-2014, 08:16 PM)thirtiesradio Wrote:  Looks fantastic! The restoration looks very original. Your dial lens looks great. I ordered one for mine as I had no idea on how to make one. Very nice Icon_thumbup
Thanks.I also was thinking of ordering one.Then I remembered that some long time ago I've been  making cockpits for the model planes and tried  the same method.   Was not hard at all. Not sure about correct curvature as I did not have the original one to compare.

(11-15-2014, 08:57 PM)thirtiesradio Wrote:  The pointer is from a different set. The AK pointer on the 206 is wire thin, but is held on with a screw like your pointer is.
And I thought I've had a good day.. I might have to make one, after all.Have any picture  of the pointer to share?

(11-15-2014, 10:51 PM)fields 100 Wrote:  
(11-15-2014, 08:57 PM)thirtiesradio Wrote:  The pointer is from a different set. The AK pointer on the 206 is wire thin, but is held on with a screw like your pointer is.
And I thought I've had a good day.. I might have to make one, after all.Have any picture  of the pointer to share?

Sorry...a new pointer should be easy to make/find. Here is a photo I took a while back. I made it a bit larger so you can see the pointer. I would be happy to get a better photo of the dial tomorrow when I have light if you need it.

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-15-2014, 11:55 PM)thirtiesradio Wrote:  
(11-15-2014, 10:51 PM)fields 100 Wrote:  

Sorry...a new pointer should be easy to make/find. Here is a photo I took a while back. I made it a bit larger so you can see the pointer. I would be happy to get a better photo of the dial tomorrow when I have light if you need it.
The picture just fine.Looks like a small hub with 2 wires painted black. Will post photo of the coming masterpiece.
Thanks.

I was going to mention the pointer to you as it isn't the proper one but didn't want to be a wet blanket. You are also missing a couple of white on black labels, one on the chassis and one on the IF can . If you want to be picky. You do have a nice shield for the 2A6 tube. most of the one I've were missing or falling apart.
Terry