Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for advice with curviture in a 91D door

Hi everyone, I've got a 91D that has a slight curvature in the right hand door causing it to not fully close at the bottom. If I unmounted the door and removed all the hardware could I then put it under wight for a few weeks to flatten it out? Should steam be used or just rely on father time to fix it? My only real worry is over the finish, it's in really good condition and I wouldn't want to damage it.

(01-27-2015, 09:20 AM)Capt. Apparatus Wrote:  Hi everyone, I've got a 91D that has a slight curvature in the right hand door causing it to not fully close at the bottom. If I unmounted the door and removed all the hardware could I then put it under wight for a few weeks to flatten it out? Should steam be used or just rely on father time to fix it? My only real worry is over the finish, it's in really good condition and I wouldn't want to damage it.
  I had to soak my door In hot tub (didn't tell wife)for a day or so then lay flat with a lot of weight on it or clamp it down , let dry out a few days 
   Word of warning it may damage the veneer, the part I did was stripped and then refinished . you will have to strip both doors and refinish them to match the cabinet. Strip the door first then throw in water, the water will soak in better without the finish on it. I would check on the veneer now and then , if its starting to come off , I would pull it out water then add paper towel down on it with the clamps or weight. Good luck

I assume it curves outward (concave out)? Is the inner veneer attached to the core? If it's loose, you could put the door in a very dry place for a month or two and see if it flattens, then reglue the veneer before the core expands again.