Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 20 hum after restoration

I have completely recapped a Philco 20 and also replaced all out of spec resistors. Radio played fine with no hum. Then I replaced the 4 speaker wires going from speaker to speaker plug. Two go across field coil and two go to primary of output transformer. The original wires were badly frayed and twisted together along their length. I did twist the new wires around each other but in no particular order. Now the radio has a constant hum (not very loud but noticeable) which does not vary with volume control setting. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Radio still plays fine but the hum does annoy me. Icon_redface
Thanks

One of the two leads to the speaker field also goes to the ct of the op transformer primary. Any chance these two got reversed?

I had all the leads numbered on both ends before I removed them but I will check that out.
Thanks,

rickd Wrote:One of the two leads to the speaker field also goes to the ct of the op transformer primary. Any chance these two got reversed?

You were right on! Somehow, despite all my labeling, I must have switched those two leads. The set plays fine now with only the slightest hum when not on a station. Thanks for the good advice Icon_smile

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
Cannot Adjust an IF Transformer’s cores
The abilities of our 'Phorum Pholks" never ceases to amaze me! Fantastic fabrication, Joseph! I'm waiting now for...GarySP — 08:27 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
Thanks. I never realized that was a notch noted in the schematic as described. I’ll recheck my wiring.bridkarl — 08:13 PM
Thank you! I was quite new to the Phorum when I started this post, so I feel like it might be advantageous to publish a ...jrblasde — 08:07 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
Notice in the schematic the notch at the bottom of the antenna coil is between pins 3 & 4. Yes, pin 6 of the 7C6 is...RodB — 07:34 PM
bridkarl
I have two PT-6 chassis. On both there is a blue wire that runs from the above chassis transformer to pin 6 of 7C6. So t...bridkarl — 07:23 PM
Joseph, now you are an engineer!!RodB — 06:37 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
Hi, reading your explanation I can see the confusion. If you take it one connection at a time it should result in a desi...RodB — 06:34 PM
It works! I received the PCBs this morning in the mail, and put everything together. I reused the base from the original...jrblasde — 04:32 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
I seem to have lost my way on this PT-6. I see the antenna aerial transformer schematic - I’m reading pins 1 through ...bridkarl — 12:30 PM
40-150 General questions
Good thing you're a good electrician ... the pictures show a lot of rewiring in your future! Take care and BE HEALTHY!...GarySP — 11:52 AM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 3976 online users. [Complete List]
» 2 Member(s) | 3974 Guest(s)

>