Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 47-1227 Almost Playing

Hello All,
I'm new to Philco Phorum and kinda new to radio restoration.  I started my small collection in 1982 but only in the last two years have I been learning/trying to repair them.  Home-schooling myself with books, videos, and websites.  So I have lots of questions.  

I've been working on my Philco 47-1227 for over four months now.  I've replaced everything in the chassis; resistors, electrolytics, capacitors, all 9 tubes. I've tested continuity on coils and transformer. The only thing that looks questionable is the antenna coil. It looks like someone did something to it at one time.

That said, at full power all I get is a low hum on the speaker at full volume. No station will tune in. Tonight I put a low power AM transmitter next to the chassis and could hear music on the speaker. I had to hold the speaker up to my ear to hear it. Moving the tuner made a small change in strength for the transmitter but no stations.

What comes to mind as a possible problem? Could it be the antenna coil? Bad IF coil?
All ideas are appreciated.

Thank You,
Steve

Attached Files
.pdf schematic pt1.pdf Size: 129.77 KB  Downloads: 93
.pdf schematic pt2.pdf Size: 107.1 KB  Downloads: 97

Have you aligned it?
Alignment, especially IF will immediately reveal IF coil problems. As well as the others.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.