Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 112X electronics restoration.

Well, 

Thanks to Kirk Icon_twisted  Icon_lol I am a happy albeit running out of space (well.....having run by now) owner of Philco 112X. The "X" has been on my list for some time, though I thought it would be 14X or something of the similar ones. The radio looked great and the price was just right also.....so I caved in.

Since the pics from For sale online will eventually disappear together with the thread, I have decided to repeat them here.

These are front photos taken with my tablet. These are likely to be rotated so I would ask moderators if possible rotate the pics so one would not have to twist one's neck in order to view them.

Now, the back is off.

Rfeenstra, yes there is some burgundy soft cloth lining the back. It is in decent shape and won't require replacement.

Upon opening I found an envelope with some extra grillcloth.
I wonder if Ron could tell me if it is close to original.

These are how it looks and zoomig in on the pattern.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The one thing I am always afraid with these radios is the speaker being bad. Considering the grill cloth was replaced, I did not have any way of knowing what shape the cone would be in.
Before I even started taking the radio apart I took the meter to the speaker's plug. The results were encouraging: both the field coil and the output transformer's primary were good.
Then I took the speaker away....Jubilations!!! (S&G) the cone was in great shape with a small hole which I schmeared some rubber cement on. Almost looks new. Just dusty.

Back view with the backing off.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Now with the chassis out,

First thing, as the previous owner told me (good thing he did) he tried to fit the dial with some lighting, LEDs with batteries, so it would glow.

As could be seen, the screw waas about to touch the dial, so if rotated it coul scratch it. Luckily no one did and nor did I, so the dial is good.
And the original lamp is there too.

Here is the front of the chassis.

The radio was repaired aat least once in 40s or 50s. The capacitor is parallelled to the blick, bad but accepted practice back then.

The AC plug is crushed...oh well.

And, for the dessert, some rodents (had to be small) made a little nest with some food cache inside.
Nothing new Icon_smile

That's it for today. 

Very Nice! Beautiful cabinet.

1929 Victor R-32, 1933 60L, Phil 40-158, Phil 42-400X, Phil 47-1230 Radio/Phono,, 1950 Phil TV t-1104, Air King 4000, Philco 41-105, Philco 37-675, RCA Victor 9K2, PT-50, Phil 54C, PT-44 Cabinet, Phil 118X Cabinet

Gregg Icon_thumbup

Very nice Mike Icon_smile

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

It's been 3-1/2 weeks since my dad died and I had not been able to bring myself to working on the radio (or to do anything else other than work, like practicing my guitar), so today I got angry at myself and spent some time in the basement restuffing backelite blocks.
Finished them all off, including the 3 blocks with 250 ohm resistors. Speaking of which, one out of the three was open.
I made them out of 2×470 ohms in parallel.

Tin can caps restuff.

First of, they all had right capacitances, 2x0.25uF in one can, and 0.5uF in the two others.
I restuffed them just the same.

The steps:

The cap

The innards

Soldering the GND lead in

The cap is inside

Reusing the fishpaper

Closing the cap

Installing back

Good stuff (restuff)!

Did you ever figure out the grill cloth?

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Russ

I am not at that point yet.
In fact the grillcloth looks like some Philco reproduction type, so I will have to investigate first, as to if it is and if it an appropriate type.
Opinions and advice are welcome.

Today I rebuilt aluminum can caps.
I used 8uF film instead of electrolytics. They fit just fine, close enough in value (8 vs 6 uF) and were easy to mount.
Also the aluminum can caps themselves ( not original but good-looking) lent themselves to very easy gutting. So I rebuilt the two in 30 minutes. Right now they are waiting for the epoxy to cure.

Today I

1. Installed the electrolytics back in their places.
2. Desoldered wires from several lugs of the filter can and...all of them were within 20%. I decided at this point to not rebuild the can, especially considering most of them except one are working at low voltage.
3. The volume control had no contact from the wiper to the resistive element. The resistor was at some point subbed and the replacement is the type with a snap back lid, so one good blast of Deoxit Fader Lube and voila....it works.
4. All audio transformers seem to be ok.
5. Filter choke ok.
6. All RF coils seem OK.
7. Tone control. Even though the capacitors inside seemed close in value to the specs, I decided to rebuild. Plus the wire going to it is all brittle and breaks readily.

That is it for today.

I like your work, sharing your knowledge. Although my dad passed away years ago, I still think of him and the little things like when taught me how to hunt; indeed, I have his old Winchester 1200 shotgun with which I blasted my first (and actually my last) squirrel out of a giant beech tree! Keep up the good work.
-Simon

Thanks Simon.