Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 53-1750 with M24 Phonograph

Hi, All:

A friend, and very good customer, just brought me a Philco 53-1750 radio phonograph.  I'm going to lose my shirt on this, but he is an old friend.  Took me 2 hours just to get the works out of the cabinet.  I have service info for both the phonograph and the radio.  People are always telling me I'm smart, but, after an hour of diddling with this record changer, I can't see any way for it to play any record I am aware of.  The service manual says it will play 33s, 45s, and 78s.  I learned from the service manual that you rotate the "record shelf" to select which record type.  I turned it all 3 ways and was not able to place a 78 RPM record on the turntable manually without it jamming between the record shelf and spindle.  45?  Maybe there is supposed to be a spindle appliance for this?  12" 33s, I don't even see enough room from the spindle to the spindle shelf to drop one of these on it.

I'm wondering if an owner's manual would help, but I can't find one.  I'm going to start on the chassis restoration.  If anyone can be of any assistance/knows where I can download an owner's manual, I would very much appreciate it.

Best

Mike

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Mike: I have seen some of york work at the Radio Attic, very nice. You have the talent and hopefully get some answers here, should make your pal happy. Radios with record players scare me, I will bet you figure it out, good luck.

Paul B.

Tubetalk1

Hi, Paul:

Thanks for the kind words. I don't mind working on the old phonographs, but they tend to be very time consuming, and there is for sure no money in them. I have done several, including half a dozen crank phonographs. This is the first time I have seen one that I have absolutely no idea how it works. Definitely an odd duck. The service manual is very scary as well. My customer has said to go ahead and do the radio. I would love to do the phonograph, but it looks like 15 or 20 hours to me, if I can figure out how it works to begin with.

Mike