Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Identification

The Wife picked up this Philco at a rummage sale today for $15 dollars.....
We think it's a 1934 model 84B. (Baby Grand?).... Does this sound correct??
Has 4 tubes....  Took a look under the chassis and it looks to be all original...
Thanks for the help,
Mike

Attached Files Image(s)

Yes, it is.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Ah, thank you very much...... The darn veneer is coming off....wondering if anyone has replaced the veneer over the whole curved section...? Otherwise I could try and glue it down....
Thanks,
Mike

Cabinet repair is one topic I muffle myself on: I am yet to attempt any of it.
But there are plenty of folks here who do it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks for the response.....
Mike

If the veneer is just lifting away you could try carpenters glue and nylon banding clamps to "coax" it back down. Some photos of the repairs needed would help. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Yes if the veneer is still ok then working glue under it with a thin spatula, knife, piece of metal etc. and clamping as Gary suggests. A syringe with a large bore blunt needle is useful for getting glue under as well. Amazon has them. The clamping is really the hard part. Bands are a good choice. In addition, I have seen on some woodworking shows a flexible plywood that might be useful to put over the curved part (cover the plywood surface with packing tape to keep it from getting glued down as well). I have to say I have never used it so its just a thought. Others here will have more experience with this type of glue down than I do. I do know that you want to fully work out the clamping and give it a dry run without glue before you start gluing.