Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What do I have? Philco 655

Haven't been on here in a while, and it's been a while since I've worked on a Philco.  I picked this up a while back, and assumed it was a 655 chassis in a 650 cabinet.  I went to restore it this summer, and noticed the decal inside the cabinet says it is a model 655.  From what I could find, the 655 has a completely different cabinet.  Was this a case of Philco running out of cabinets?  Wouldn't the original purchaser know that this was done, since it wouldn't 'look' like other model 655's that other shops were selling?  Just thought someone might have some more insight.  

I will say, it's a nice playing set.  I do need to touch up the alignment a bit at some point, but it has great tone and plenty of volume.

Hi Adam,
Others may know more than me, but it was not uncommon for Philco to run out of cabinets and use one for a newer model or use up older cabinets on a newer model prior to switching up to the planned new cabinet.

It does not surprise me that this radio performs well. The Audio Output Stage is a Class B push-pull with triode connected 42 tubes, and is rated for 10 Watts, certainly high power for a table radio of that era.

Good luck with this, it is a really nice radio.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Wouldn't be the first "Phranken-Philco" to come out of the factory. Kinda like model year end cars built back in the days. Saw a few with parts from different years in my earlier years as a mechanic. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

hello Adam,
What a great looking radio and I agree with mr Fixr and Gary if Ron was still with us I am sure he would reply to this too.
Sincerely Richard

I've got a 660 (L) and it's a fine playing set although it has the H-13 spkr (10 1/2" job). The circuit is very close to the 116B. On the other hand the 665 the difference is the mixer as it uses a pentagrid tube and the 660 use two tubes 77 & 76 like the 116.

As for the sticker I've had a couple of sets that have had a different sticker vs cabinet. One of the ones that comes to mind is a 200X cab w/a 201 chassis & sticker. Ron said that Philco was just using up the remaining cabinets from the 200X's. As a project the chassis is done and works well but both cabinets were in poor condition. I disassembled both to make one.

I not surprised that a cabinet and sticker don't match. On the 201X it was a late run of the chassis, lots of bakelite blocks. It seemed counter intuitive as I would use the old cabinets first but Philco didn't.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry