Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-345

This appeared on my porch this morning for $30.
Appears to be completely original and intact down to the Philco tubes and the original grill cloth. The 7Y4 rectifier is missing and the power cord is trashed. 
Case is in excellent shape. Advice on proper cleaning/polishing procedure would be appreciated.
I’ve just been using the standard yellow tubular caps I get from justradios - not sure there’s any advantage to upgrading to more expensive caps

Should be fun restoration after I get this SX-62 finished. That’s about done I think as soon as some parts get here.

Attached Files Image(s)

You have received what should be when restored a very fine receiver, I have that set. It used to pick up SW with just internal antenna in the daytime. I use it now for AM and AM DX. I may have that tube for you if you need one and most likely any others if they test bad. LMK. BTW you paid 9.95 less than it was originally priced!Icon_smile.

https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1942a/#Model_42-345T

Paul

Tubetalk1

I found the missing tube stuck in the back of the radio. A complete set of Philco branded tubes.

I’ve ordered a complete set of replacement caps this morning. And a can of non-abrasive Goop to clean up the case.  The only missing part is a missing push button.

I’ll get on this as soon as I finish this SX-62. That’s about done so when it’s working I’ll put it on the end of the bench and let it play while I do this Philco. I figure about 10 hours of burnin should tell me whether the SX-62 is fully repaired.

Before I get started on this…I’m thinking of using a polarized plug with a 1 amp fast blow fuse before the line caps on the hot side of the switch.  In the location indicated by the red dot on the photo. That sound about right or is there some other preference? To preserve the original look I think I’ll just use an under chassis fuse rather than drill a hole.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello bridkarl,
Looks good to me because that is where I would add it too !
Sincerely Richard

Thanks. Just always good to check. This apparently also has the line caps in a Bakelite box per normal. 

I’ve got two of those .01 x/y ceramic safety caps on order.  

Shouldn’t be a hard job except for finding that missing push button. Looks fairly straight forward layout.

Hello BridKarl,
Yes, I buy those Safety capacitors from mouser and yes that set should be fairly easy and having a power transformer is a plus !
Sincerely Richard

I’m getting mine from Justradios for around .39 each.
These seem a good size for fitting inside the block.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello Karl,
I keep a few diffrent ones in stock including ones just like yours plus these made by Vishy .
Sincerely Richard

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks. This should go smoothly especially since I have a spare cleaned out Bakelite block I can swap out for what’s in there.

Yesterday I got some of the smooth non-abrasive Goop cleaner which seems to do a good job removing the grime and dirt from the wood.

When the set is finish if the fast blow 1 amp fails might need a 1 amp slow blow try not to go higher with the fast blow if possible. David

More slow progress. I replaced the condenser block today using two .01 safety caps. I’m just replacing other caps later this week like the electrolytics.
It’s clear to me that I’m the second person to recap this as the 12mfd cap clearly isn’t the original.
I’m curious what the original power cord would have been - plastic?  Run through a grommet? The previous owner just ran the cord through a piece of orange rubber tubing.

Attached Files Image(s)