Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 90 Tuning after cleaning tuning capacitor

<< Bingo >> Steve and company!!! Icon_angel

That gang bothered me too.

Problem is, when reassembling it i thought i used the washers that came with it.  (Still do)

To top it, i broke the hard board that held the stator station of that same gang but epoxyed it with JB Weld >AND< i ensured that it did not effect the performance of the hard board and did not glue the frame and Stator together. 

See picture - see the brass 'connector' top to bottom that caused my ground issue - it came this way !  that's a bottom rivet so i believe it is original.

THE REAL FIX is what everyone here kept alluding to, the plates have to be isolated from the stators.  The one odd thing, and i still can't understand, that particular stator had a brass (looks like) plate that 'forced' ground when I screw in the stator. Mike is correct, i measured in circuit (didn't know any better) but i know that .9 or 1.2 is connectivity therefore ground!  That plate WAS grounded because of the riveted plate.  I proved that by completely disconnecting the other screw and it remained grounded.    

A couple of weeks ago i when to a estate sale where the former owner keep jars of screws, nails etc. in his workshop.  i saw a jar of washers and for $1 thought they'd come in handy.  I used one of those washers that is hardboard and de-grounded Icon_biggrin my stator and plates for that gang!  Now it measured 49.5 ohms instead of connectivity/ground.

I turned on the radio, misaligned to $%^& (heck) even so, LOUD and clear! When i aligned i had the BEST reception and sound than before!!!!  it is SO clear!   

My cleaning spree did something - would i do it again or listen to wiser advice?   Right now, i just like the result.

I owe it ALL to you gentlemen who lent your time and talent.  You pointed me in the right direction - i just had to figure it out.  Look at the picture and tell me is this Plate NORMAL (?) for Philco 90 gangs?  if so, what isolates the plates from the frame - i didn't have a hardboard washer with mine. 

Thank you ALL so much - you guys are the greatest.  Now, on to the cabinet!

Rich          

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Model 90 Tuning after cleaning tuning capacitor - by winston763 - 01-28-2016, 11:28 PM