Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-201 Restoration Journal

Went to a local jeweler that's not associated with a big-box store or a mall fixture. I can get a clear red to pink cubic zirconia that's 9 mm in diameter for $18. That would fit nicely in the 3/8" hole for the power on light. My other option is to cast a plastic lens. I would have to shape the piece and make a mold or just cast a 3/8" plug by drilling a hole in a nylon block - assuming it will not stick to nylon. The smallest can of resin runs $15 to $20. The coloring between $7 and $10. If I need a release agent, I'm sure it's $10. So, the jewel is the easiest since all I have to do is inset it in the hole snugly. It's also the least expensive but I'm limited color and depth of color of the jewel that is yet seen. The resin is more work and allows me to make hundreds of jewels rather than one. Is that a benefit given that I have one radio now and the prospects of another are slim, given the outrageous asking prices of similar models in terrible physical condition due to sorry restoration efforts by the seller and outrageous alleged values on ebay (then go sell it there, right)? It seems like I would have better control over the intensity of the colors as well. Time for another value decision.

Messages In This Thread
Philco 40-201 Restoration Journal - by g8wayg8r - 05-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Re: Philco 40-201 Restoration Journal - by g8wayg8r - 05-31-2009, 11:04 AM