Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cathedral Top Repair - Advice Needed

Sadly this happens all too often, I'm afraid that eventually all the nice radios will end up damaged. Having been a restorer of "basket case" cathedrals for many years, I'd say you have a few options. First, you can try to salvage whats there already. One way to try initially would be to try to steam it back into shape. This may or may not work. Use a wet washcloth on the bulged area, and an iron on low to moderate heat----I usually try to stay on "Silk" or the first heat setting. Sometimes steaming it and then using a little dry heat allows you to shrink settle things back into place. If that doesn't work, I'd bite the bullet on re veneering the body after removing all the bulged parts, repairing with some veneer on the underside, veneer filling in the hole on top of the underside repair, then filling in with a wood patch material, then veneer over everything. If you want to be more adventurous ( I always am) remove the original veneers off the body without disturbing the underside. This is accomplished strictly mechanically with a wide chisel (1 and 1/2 to 2 inches wide), and gentle and repetitive prying, coaxing and cursing. It always works, go perpendicular to the line of grain of the top layer

Mike Schwartzman

Messages In This Thread
Re: Cathedral Top Repair - Advice Needed - by radiomikee - 06-09-2009, 02:25 PM