Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Midwest Royale 24 tube set (c.1935).

Today, Midwest has acquired a nice image. They deserved it. The company advertised on a factory-to-you basis, having no dealers anywhere. They capitalized on high tube counts at a low price. Many "observers" on message boards like this, claimed that Midwest sets had tubes in them that did nothing but draw filament current. None of that was true. Indeed, Midwest sets had such things as parallel push-pull output stages, two rectifier tubes, rather than one, and so on. But the confounded things were mighty good sets, and worked like champions. I have a 1935 18 tube Imperial, and it's a regular thunder machine. Its sensitivity puts many other radios to shame.

Mike, of Midwest fame, has very recently found a Midwest Imperial like mine, and he's having fits of ecstasy over it. He had been on the lookout for one for several years, and has just now, found it. He's overjoyed (I don't blame him).

Your Royale is more nearly a 1936 model. It is the "holy grail" of Midwests of that era. You're very fortunate to have it.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Midwest Royale 24 tube set (c.1935). - by Doug Houston - 06-21-2009, 09:28 PM