Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Phono Connection for Philco Model 96

(06-25-2016, 06:21 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  There's a few ways to go about it. Cheap and dirty is solder a .01 mfd cap to the junction of #28 &30. use the unsoldered end and the chassis for the input. Ground the ant post so you won't hear any radio signals.
You could add a radio /phono switch break the connection from 28 to 30. 28 is the audio output from the radio. 30 is the input to the amplifier. Use a switch to connect either the radio audio (28 ) or the phono to 30.

Terry

This works nicely, although I tried grounding the antenna, but that increased the noise. I'll add a switch later.

The volume is adequate with either the Garrard through a cheap preamp, and the CD player connected directly to 28&30. I may want to amplify the input a little more later. It's fine in the small room where the Phico sits presently, but may need a little more volume in a larger room, as it is I have the volume at maximum.

Thank you for the suggestions.
(06-26-2016, 01:45 PM)morzh Wrote:  By grounding the antenna Terry might've meant shorting it to chassis (Gnd post if exists at the same terminal strip with antenna) and not really connecting it to Ground.
Which one did you do?

I connected antenna and antenna ground, it has both, as well as a connector designated loc., which connects to one side of the power in across a .015uF capacitor.

There is some static and popping, but perhaps this is to be expected in this radio. Neither are very noticable while playing the Garrard, and vary when playing the radio.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phono Connection for Philco Model 96 - by TN Allen - 06-26-2016, 04:27 PM