Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 60 - Problem with Short Wave/Police Band

Thanks, Ron. My set is run 11 with the 1936 cabinet. And the Police band padder, part #11 (1400pf) actually measures 1320pf (using a DVM capacitance meter, which is not all that accurate) and no leakage. The band switch has been cleaned and is indeed shorting out turns on both the antenna and oscillator coil on the police band.

And again, the radio works well on the broadcast band.

Today I plan to double check the wiring, since I had to remove BOTH the antenna and oscillator coils in order to rewind the short wave primary (antenna coil) and feedback winding (oscillator coil). Both were open, as are almost every Philco I have restored that used a winding on top of plastic insulation. The tuned windings were not disturbed in both cases.

I also plan on determining the frequency the oscillator is actually running at a couple of points on the dial using a counter or my Realistic DX440 radio, whichever works.

I also plan on trying to grid dip the antenna coil to see where it is resonating on the police band. This may or may not work with the coil inside its shield.

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread