Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Enormous model 62 (2 24A,s 1 27 2 71 A)

Hello Thermionman. Welcome! What you have is a 1929-30 era TRF type Philco receiver. If you want to try to re- energize all those old caps with a lighbulb as a "test" is your choice indeed. However, using a variac with ac amp-meter on the ac -linecord would be a better choice in slow-upping todays ac into the radio as a test. Most likely,all the old caps need replacing to accomodate todays modern higher ac line voltages you will be using. If nothing else, I would highly suggest replacing the filter caps section first.
If youve already checked all the globe tubes filaments, and they are still good, most likely the tubes are still useable sometimes. If the #80 rectifier tube has any internal shorts, using your lightbulb on one-side of the ac line in series, should show any defaults there, and protect the set somewhat during initial powerup. The set should operate at approx / or under 1- ampere,( after tube filaments warmup) if orig caps/& resistors components are still good.Add a fuse for protection also. They are cheap in comparison to the alternative. However, the future "reliability" of all those old orig caps are surely questionable at best.
I did a quick search for the JF Riders schematic of your vintage Philco model 62 set,( didnt have time to look closely) and found it to be a vintage Canadian made Philco model? Perhaps not. I own a fully restored US made model #65 that I restored several yrs ago. One of my favorites in my collection indeed!
JF Riders lists the Philco model(s) # 62 & model #65 as the same chassis electronically. Im not sure if your set has a orig 25 cycle a.c. trans or not? If so, the B+ voltage could be offset abit, but easily corrected from ac trans CT to chassis ground by adding a suitable resistor in series if need be if I remember correctly.
In any case, heres a link to the JF Riders schemat:
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...029641.pdf

.... hope this info helps! The orig caps-sections can be "re-built" to look orig, with new smaller size dependable replacements!
Best of luck in restoring your vintage Philco!! ol Tx Icon_wink

Messages In This Thread
Enormous model 62 (2 24A,s 1 27 2 71 A) - by Guest - 08-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Re: Enormous model 62 (2 24A,s 1 27 2 71 A) - by Texasrocker - 08-02-2009, 02:21 AM
Re: Enormous model 62 (2 24A,s 1 27 2 71 A) - by Guest - 08-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Re: Enormous model 62 (2 24A,s 1 27 2 71 A) - by Guest - 08-04-2009, 02:13 AM