Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another Car Radio Problem

Hello Ron,
I would have suspected the prob just as Exray described as first solution. Ive restored many Chevy 47-53 truck radios over the yrs. And a few Mopars & Motorolas for Fords various yrs models tube radios.Im no expert, but have a few other ideas. Slug-tuning is "tricky" sometimes indeed!
Since you have asertained that the mechanical-integrity of the slug-tuning system is still good, I would next try making sure the next easiest solution of checking & fully cleaning the osc padders mica condensers, then realigning the set to 262 kc. Then 2nd solution after that, is to look further,into the "dreaded job" of having to take apart the other IF can you didnt rebuild already and rebuild it also.
Make sure you explain to your customer the "extra" work involved, time is money!, to cover your time invested! Most customers understand totally! Otherwise, you have the Radio working again ( which is something the customers should be thankful for), and they can simply "retune" the set themselves if they dont want to pay extra.
Sounds like youve done a great restoration already otherwise!
Also check closely both the IF cans wiring insulation going into the IF cans visually for deterioration. Resleeving them if necessary with heat-shrink may help settle it down? If your radio has both push-button & clutch type mechanical tuning knob system, make sure all moving parts are clean of debris & fully operating ( engaging & releasing) "independently" from each other. IE: if the radio has pushbutton knobs that are releasing "late" from their springs mechanical system, will throw the radio off once they fully extend, and moving the clutch tuning shaft abit along the way. WD-40 is a friend here in most cases after all moving parts are fully, carefully, cleaned. Most of those old radios were very dirty with debris in the mechanical tuning systems!
Ahh, those old Chevy radios memories! ( I drove my Chevy to the levy, but the levy was dry)! Slug-tuning is a great idea when it works! Otherwise, it can definately be a "head-scratcher". Just my .02,.. Best of luck, your about to homeplate indeed!!

Messages In This Thread
Another Car Radio Problem - by Retro Ron - 08-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Re: Another Car Radio Problem - by exray - 08-13-2009, 06:37 AM
Re: Another Car Radio Problem - by Retro Ron - 08-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Re: Another Car Radio Problem - by Texasrocker - 08-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Re: Another Car Radio Problem - by Arran - 08-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Re: Another Car Radio Problem - by Retro Ron - 08-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Re: Another Car Radio Problem - by kruc - 08-24-2009, 03:37 AM
Re: Another Car Radio Problem - by BILL - 08-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Re: Another Car Radio Problem - by Retro Ron - 08-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Re: Another Car Radio Problem - by kruc - 08-31-2009, 02:41 AM