Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Broken Tone Control

AHHHH, CRAP!! While in the middle of restoring this ultra-rare Philco 19LZ with Police band, I've found a real dilly of a problem! The Tone Control (PART No. 30-4003), I found, has a terminal problem (literally!).
I'm half-way through the (9) bakelite condensers now, and already have the tin bypass box already stuffed with new capacitors. This has been tedious, but enjoyable. That is, til I started to do the tone control!
In order to even see the *$#&^% thing, you have to remove 2 bakelite condensers, both filter cans AND their associated mounting brackets and tensioner studs, along with the Police Band switch. I was finally able to rotate the tone control, only to see that one of the contact terminals is broken and gone! I thought that MAYBE I could replace the tone capacitors with the control in place, so I don't have to remove all the above components.
But, with a broken terminal on the tone switch, I don't know WHAT the deuce I'm gonna do now! Icon_cry Any remedies or suggestions from the Philcophile crowd?

Steve McDonald

Messages In This Thread
Broken Tone Control - by tubenutt - 08-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Re: Broken Tone Control - by kruc - 08-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Re: Broken Tone Control - by tubenutt - 08-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Re: Broken Tone Control - by tubenutt - 08-22-2009, 05:25 PM