Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-116 Cabinet Color and other questions...

bmag Wrote:Ed,

I noticed on my Philco 40-160 that the letters too are etched onto the cabinet. While I'm not crazy about using the decals, it does seem to be the best way to go, I've seen them on many other restorations on the forum here. Just remember to put the decals on BEFORE you varnish. ;)

Pretty soon I'm going to run into the color problem you are having now. I restored a Seeburg M100C jukebox a few years ago and I remember obsessing over the final color. It took me weeks to find it and by the time I did I had about a dozen cans of stain in my shop area all practically unused. After all was said and done, I just went with Tung Oil to bring out the natural look of the cherry wood veneer I used. It's beautiful, I just love it.

Good luck

Brian
Manassas, VA

Thanks for the advice Brian. Can you elboratre more on the Tung oil method? Did you thin it at all and if so with what and to what percentage? How long did it take to dry before you could varnish it? I've used Tung oil before and it seems to take forever to dry.

Thanks!

Ed

Messages In This Thread
38-116 Cabinet Color and other questions... - by Guest - 07-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Re: 38-116 Cabinet Color and other questions... - by Guest - 08-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Re: 38-116 Cabinet Color and other questions... - by Guest - 08-26-2009, 09:47 AM