Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 90 mystery cap

Hello. I finally registered to the Phorum after months of lurking because I finally found a question that hasn't already been addressed here. I'm re-capping my very first Philco, a Model 90 that a friend found at a yard sale in Montana (I won't tell you what he paid for it, but it was CHEAP!).

There seems to be a mystery capacitor connected between the #18 By-Pass Condenser (3903-M) and a terminal on the speaker socket. The value is .05mfd/200v. I haven't seen this cap in any diagram or schematic, and it doesn't appear in the photo that Ron posted elsewhere of a pristine Model 90 chassis. It appears to be from the same era, judging from the paper wrapping and size, so I'm guessing it was attached by a service tech who may not have had access to Philco's secret bakelite cap contents listings.

Question: when I get to that cap, should I just not replace it, and assume that replacing the caps inside 3903-M (which specs at .01mfd) will take care of it, or should I replace the .05mfd external cap as well? What do I risk by removing that cap?

I never would have attempted this re-cap if it weren't for the Phorum and all the incredibly valuable advice I found here. I appreciate all of your collective knowledge and experience!

Thanks,

Mike

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...g:original]

Messages In This Thread
Model 90 mystery cap - by mgutierres - 09-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Re: Model 90 mystery cap - by mgutierres - 09-07-2009, 06:20 PM