Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

50-1726 FM Alignment & Dial Tracking Problems

I am a newbie to this group and a collector of Philco radios since the mid 80's. I have a Philco 50-1726 AM-FM Radio/Phono console that I am in the process of restoring. I have two questions. I have recapped the audio section and it sounds great. The AM band is tracking just fine. The problem I'm having is with the FM band. The tracking is way off. It is affecting both low and high end of the band. On the low side of the band, a station at 88.9 is coming in around 94 mhz and on the high side 105 mhz comes in at 108 mhz. Most of the tubes were weak in this set and have been replaced with brand new ones. I have done alignments on AM sets but not FM. How do I go about it?

The second question I have is about paper capacitor replacement in the IF, Detector, and AVC section of the set. The Philco Service Manual I have for this model caution's about the placement of caps in the high frequency sections of the set. Since newer caps are smaller and have longer leads on each side of the cap, is this going to create problems with unwanted oscillations and could replacement of these parts make it difficult to align? I did a voltage check on all the tubes and they are within specs.

Any help with restoring this set will be greatly appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
50-1726 FM Alignment & Dial Tracking Problems - by Guest - 10-07-2009, 06:04 PM