Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Update on 38-5 restoration, Almost ready for cabinet!

So the 38-5 is largely functional on the AM band.

The only concern on the AM band is that the IF adjustments are a bit concerning. I have a fair adjustment, but the screws for item 23 (first IF can) are almost fully into the can, and the screws for item 28 (second IF can) are slightly farther out that I would have expected. This is by reference to where they started before I touched up the IF alignment.

The SW band is very flaky. Once in a while it will drop in and pass the signal along. When I even touch trimmer 5C, it may drop in for a few seconds and as soon as I bump anything it drops back out. It seems like there might be an intermittent connection. BTW, this is with a signal generator set to 17MHz and AM modulation on and coupled thru the antenna input. So what position are the switches shown on in Riders (AM or SW)? Any ideas as to how to track this down? I plan on trying to trace this using a signal path approach to see where is drops out, but I need to understand the switches before I try. Is there ANYTHING on this SW band once jet it to work with the signl generator?

Thanks,
TerryMSU

Messages In This Thread
RE: Update on 38-5 restoration, Shadowgraph question - by TerryMSU - 12-02-2016, 09:14 PM