Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 41-296X with 41-285 modified chassis

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Now go and doublecheck that field coil resistance. Measure it while the speaker connector is still disconnected. Remember, the field coil is the large coil in the back of the speaker, and should read in the neighborhood of 1100 ohms. (There are four pins on that speaker connector. You should read around 1100 ohms between the two inner pins, and only a few ohms across the two outer pins. That is the voice coil winding.) The small transformer under the chassis that is somewhat close to the power transformer is the audio output transformer, so make sure you are measuring the right thing.

Ron--thank you for posting that. I kept meaning to ask how I should check my assortment of various speakers I have for my 40-190. Both of my speakers' field coils tested out at about 550 ohms BUT BEFORE I freak, I also have to say that my old Sperry analog handheld VOM suddenly won't calibrate anymore. I am going to have to upgrade... it isn't like this one hasn't been dropped a bunch of times over the years. Icon_biggrin

The fact that BOTH of my speakers tested out the same (one also has an open voice coil; I can see the problem but have no idea how to reconnect a wire that fine) on the field coil suggests to me that, rather than identical faults, I have a crappy VOM. I think I'll use this as a convenient excuse to upgrade. Icon_lol (The other theory is to pick up a packet of mixed resistors at Rat Shack if they still have any and find out what 1100 ohms should look like on my meter, just as a quick-and-dirty. But a new digital VOM is definitely on my horizon.)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philco Model 41-296X with 41-285 modified chassis - by DeckApe - 12-10-2009, 01:29 PM