Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-180: a newbie needs guidance

Hello All,

I am new to the Philco world. My wife's great-uncle gave us his Philco 40-180. I am not really sure how to go about restoring it to working condition, so I figured I would ask y'all.

I guess I should start with my intentions. I was thinking about restoring this to working order, and then selling it. I am a new father, and my time is eaten up between my new family duties, new house (honey do list), and work. A full scale restoration project just isnt in the cards, but I figure maybe I can do some work to get it to actually turn on and operate.

I have not attempted to plug the unit in to see if it works. I am leery of doing so, as whatever passed for plastic that coated the wires in those days has corroded, and there are several areas along the length of the wire that are now exposed. So, is it OK to just put new wire in there? (As in, can I go to Radio Shack and get whatever AWG I need, crimp on some connections and call it good? or is that blasphemous?) For example, I know if you are restoring a car, you have to find parts to match; does that carry over to Philco electronics restoration?

Also, there are tubes that appear blackened. Can I take for granted that they are fried, like I would be able to surmise a fuse was blown and needed replacing?

Sorry if this isnt the appropriate forum category, and I also apologize for asking such broad questions, but I am new, so... I have to start somewhere.

Thanks to all,

Brian

Messages In This Thread
40-180: a newbie needs guidance - by Guest - 12-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Re: 40-180: a newbie needs guidance - by Guest - 12-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Re: 40-180: a newbie needs guidance - by Guest - 12-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Re: 40-180: a newbie needs guidance - by DeckApe - 12-13-2009, 01:43 AM
Re: 40-180: a newbie needs guidance - by Raleigh - 12-26-2009, 08:30 PM