Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 41-296X with 41-285 modified chassis

Jim, it is those wires going to the band switch that usually have the semi-deteriorated rubber insulation stuck to them. Pull a little too hard on them, and SNAP - you break the band switch. I've done it more than once; this is the reason why I hate working on these Philco chassis (41-250/255/280/285/287/290/296).

Try your 40 watt pencil to remove one end of each of those wires (one at a time, of course). And then, without messing with the old rubber insulation, slip a piece of heat shrink tubing that you have not shrunken over each one. Reconnect to the same spot it was connected to, do the other wire(s) going to the band switch in the same manner, and forget it. That way you won't be taking a chance on breaking a band switch wafer.

I have a 41-611 radio/phonograph console, a similar chassis but with four bandswitch wafers instead of three as in your set. I tried to sell the set as is when I moved...no takers. So, since it has a Beam of LIght changer in it, I am going to restore and keep it. Don't know when I will work on that chassis though...I dread it.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philco Model 41-296X with 41-285 modified chassis - by Ron Ramirez - 12-14-2009, 09:12 AM