Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 37-61 Short Wave Reception

I just successfully completed the electronic refurb of a model 37-61. This is an AM/SW receiver with a 20' wire connected to terminal 1 and another 20' wire connected to terminal 2. The ground link on terminal 3 is not connected to terminal 2 or 4. During the alignment using a signal generator, the signal strength/output was almost the same for both bands. But, the actual signal reception is quite different. The AM stations in the Los Angeles area are received with plenty of gain/volume. The AM section performs very well. The short wave section appears to be performing properly too based upon the signal generator readings but does a very poor job of picking up signals on the SW band which is 5.7 to 18.2 Mhz. At full volume I can tune the entire SW dial and pick up dozens of very weak carriers but too weak to be useable. Night time reception was the same. Question: Is this the best performance for this model or is there a problem that I have yet to uncover? Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
Philco Model 37-61 Short Wave Reception - by Guest - 12-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Re: Philco Model 37-61 Short Wave Reception - by Guest - 12-23-2009, 12:04 AM