Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Guard needed for Philco Dynamic Reproducer !

You're lucky your cartridge was not ruined by someone inserting a steel needle into that cartridge. The shank of a steel needle is too large for the hole, and will ruin the cartridge as it is extremely delicate.

I have a feeling you may not be able to obtain the forked guard. After all, these are parts that haven't been manufactured since the early 1950s (if they weren't discontinued before then). It seems like one could fabricate the "new-type" guard? Don't know about that.

Somewhere around here I have a NIB Philco crystal cartridge designed to replace that magnetic cartridge you have. Apparently they were a lot of trouble when they were new due to people putting the wrong needles in them and ruining them.

FWIW, Gib did rebuild one of these cartridges for me once, that had been ruined by the wrong needle. He did a great job and it worked fine when I got it back. I don't remember about the guard, though.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
Re: Guard needed for Philco Dynamic Reproducer ! - by Ron Ramirez - 12-27-2009, 09:44 AM