Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-280 some parts don't jive w/ schematic, picture included

Well it looks like the parts you mention are non critical ones #65 is a line filter it is inside that black bakeolite block. What you do is unscrew it, flip it over and you will see the tar that holds the caps in place. You can use a heat gun or not and remove the tar with a small flat screwdriver. Then you will see two shiney things inside. Those are the two .o1mfd caps. Carefully pry them out. If you aren't careful you will break the bakeolite block. If you crack the block wrap some Scotch #33 (black electrical tape) around it and nobody will know. I can keep a secret. Install two .o1mfd@400v or higher voltage rating. Screw it back down and you are all set.
The cap by the tone controls is for tone compensation. Not too much of a big deal. The one or two caps over in the corner are tied into the avc line. There again won't hurt any thing at worst could cause audio to be distorted with a very strong broadcast signal.
Most folks use a variac to reform the electrolytic caps in the power supply. They will slowly increase the ac line voltage in hopes that the lytics in it will not short out but sort of rebuild them selves.This does nothing for the wax/paper caps in the set. In my humble opinion it's a waste of time and if you plan on using the set on a regular basis you are asking for a burned up power transformer and a shorted rectifier tube. If you have replaced the electrolytic and your power transformer is good you don't need to worry about using a variac. Now with that said and you still are concerned you can use a 60 or 100w light bulb in series with one side of the ac line going into the set. This will cut the line voltage down. If it lights to full brilliance you may have a bad (shorted) power transformer. Not very common. Should light to about half brilliance. I'll also mention that most variac are autotransformers in other words they don't have a primary and secondary just a primary. What that means is that they will not provide any isolation. So you would still need to use an isolation transformer when working on an AC/DC set to protect you from the shock hazard.
Good luck w/ it. Sure looks nice!!!
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry