Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 16 hair trigger tuning on low end of dial

I am currently restoring a Philco Model 16 (chassis 122). I have it partially recapped and will spend a few days restuffing backelite blocks. At the low end of the tuning dial on all bands the set is quiet between stations and has loud sharp static noises. When tuning a station one has to be very precise to get "right on" the station. Oftentimes the only way to tune a station such as 590 on the broadcast band is to get close and lightly tap the tuning condensor at which time the colume goes from weak to loud depending on how high the volume is set. This phenomenon seems to be present on all bands. I replaced the front rubber washers on the tuning condensor and I have installed an additional ground strap from the cahssis to the body of the tuning condensor. The plates look undamaged and spacing looks even when fully meshed which is the end of the band at which the problem occurs. I have also tried adjusting the wavetrap withe no luck. The radio tunes fine from about 650 on up on the am broadcst band and equivalently so on the shortwave bands all of which function well on the rest of the band. On all bands the in between station static is different on the low end (fully meshed).

Thank you for any insights.

JT in Albany

Messages In This Thread
Philco Model 16 hair trigger tuning on low end of dial - by Guest - 05-31-2010, 06:20 PM