Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Difference in Schematic and chassis cap values?

I have seen an audio site that basically says that the bigger a cap is, the better. Not true, except occasionally, but in audio circuits, bypass and just about anything that ISN'T tuned, reasonably bigger is OK. It is generally advised not to go smaller. AGAIN this does not apply to tuned circuits. So if you have a choice between a .05 cap and a .047 - don't worry about it. If the bypass cap is .33 and all you have is a .5, that is OK too.

So unless it is an IF or tuned RF circuit, it isn't a big deal.

Filters in the power supply usually benefit by some increase in capacity. But never exceed the rating on your rectifier/first filter. Putting a 100uf where an 8uf was might as well be a short.

Also keep in mind that the rating on old caps is often +80%/-20%, which demonstrates the generally acceptable range. Modern caps are usually right on value (but electrolytics can change over time).

OH, before I forget - again - HI and Welcome

P.S. Don't reduce the voltage rating. If you can (especially in electrolytics) use as high a working- voltage cap as you can find/afford. It will last much longer. Also, always go with 105 deg caps if you can.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Messages In This Thread